featured contributor

Photo Burning Candles Credit Mircea Preda Struteanu

Twitter is my favorite social media platform, but I have to confess I am a little OCD and ritualistic when it comes to my Twitter experience.  Most of these processes involve ways to clean up my tweet stream, but others are the ways I engage and interact. It might seem a little odd to some people, but it works out well for me.

Here are five of my weird OCD Twitter rituals:

1. TwitCleaner

On the first of every month, I religiously run TwitCleaner to clear the noise from my stream. It’s the quickest way to unfollow suspected bots, people who post too many duplicate links, people who post only links, and people who have little or no interaction with their followers.

2. ManageFlitter

Every Monday morning I run Manage Flitter to see who unfollowed me so I can return the gesture and  unfollow those who have inactive Twitter accounts. I’m always able to weed out between 30-60 followers that way. Perhaps it seems petty to unfollow those who’ve done the same to me, but I am a strong believer in two-way interaction.

3. Morning Tweets

I tweet every morning from 7:30am-8:30 am with my morning coffee (excepting weekends and vacation). I like to be able to to catch up with anyone who personally interacted with me since bedtime the night before and allows me to keep  a strong level of engagement with my most active followers.

4. Evening Tweets

I tweet every night from 8:45pm-9:45 pm (excepting weekends and vacation), because I work a regular 9-5 job during the day and my “mom” job after school, and this allows me to catch all the tweets I might have missed earlier in the day. I don’t like my tweets to go unnoticed, and I know my followers appreciate a reply. Sometimes I miss a few people, because I have a lot of activity in my mentions feed, but I try to be diligent in catching up with everyone.

5. Retweets

During my morning and evening tweet sessions, I make sure to retweet at least 20 followers each during both times from my main Tweet stream. I specifically select followers I haven’t had recent interaction with in awhile to let them know I haven’t forgotten them and to show a little extra love to the followers who have helped me with retweets and website visits. I also spend this time reaching out and interacting with people I might not have tweeted with in awhile.

Of course, there are times I am able to tweet a little during the day, but it’s not often.  With my weird OCD Twitter rituals in place, I feel like I’m on top of things most of the time. I have different routines for Facebook, G+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc., but those are posts for another time.

How about you? Do you have any OCD Twitter rituals? Assure me I’m not too crazy by sharing them in the comments! :-)

Photo Credit

Amberr Meadows
Amberr Meadows is a blogger and community manager with a B.A. in Psychology. She has successfully promoted her own website, Like a Bump on a Blog, which concentrates on travel, writing, social media, and technology.
Amberr Meadows
Amberr Meadows
Amberr Meadows

Latest posts by Amberr Meadows (see all)

I do have a bunch of Twitter rituals, but they are centralized with Triberr, where the audience is most engaged, and you can fact check who tweets whom and who tweets how much. I am trying to get in a habit of leaving comments and connecting with new awesome people, such as yourself!

Best regards from Belgrade

October 9, 2012, 11:15 AM

I just started doing #1 recently. I”ll look into #2. That’s interesting. Of course, 3, 4, and 5 come naturally using the platform. Either way, Twitter is a great learning tool, networking device, and people connector!

October 9, 2012, 12:04 PM

I used to do 3, 4 & 5 regularly, though not, perhaps, in as organized a fashion as you! I’m trying to get back there (with different time frames in mind). I’ve never used programs to “purge’ my followers… I know many who do, but it still feels a bit weird to me…!

October 9, 2012, 1:18 PM
@judyarzt

Some helpful information. Yes, you’re OCD. I am more abstract sequential, but think i can pick up on some of your tips, and plan to follow you on Twitter to see if you interact and to also follow on Google+ Thanks.

October 9, 2012, 3:36 PM

Having a system is key to managing all the platforms we juggle. I did know about ManageFlitter but not Twit Cleaner so I learned something! Thank you. And yes, a great job with your blog title…. brought me right over from Triberr :).

October 9, 2012, 3:50 PM

I love using the Twitter app on my mobile as well as the buffer app. I also love Triberr. I have have to check out Twit cleaner though, sounds interesting. Thanks Amberr!

October 9, 2012, 4:17 PM

Triberr is amazing for traffic. Twit Cleaner is so easy and efficient, you’ll wonder what you did before it.

October 9, 2012, 7:00 PM

Thanks, Mohana, so glad you came through. Juggling is a fine art for all the platforms we engage on. I try to focus on the most important.

October 9, 2012, 7:00 PM

I knew it. I am OCD, but not quite like Jack Nicholson in “As Good as it Gets”. Come follow me, let’s share morning coffee or an evening chat. ;-)

October 9, 2012, 7:01 PM

Shonali, you just stick to what you’re comfortable with. I am sure whatever strategy you employ works well for you. ;-)

October 9, 2012, 7:03 PM

Duane, I totally agree. Facebook is my second favorite, but it’s a bit more personal.

October 9, 2012, 7:04 PM

I love Triberr, and thanks for connecting with me. Looking forward to your insights!

October 9, 2012, 7:04 PM

With all this time tweeting, when do you have time to do actual blogging?

Great resources, btw. Thanks for those!

October 10, 2012, 7:42 PM

Nerdy nurse, I have a secret cape in my closet when I need some superatural powers. I also try to get my blog posts knocked out during lunch or while the kiddo is in karate in the evenings. I’m a huge fan of taking my iPad wherever I go to write posts in notes. I also respond to blog comments and go comment on those nice enough to stop by (that leave a link) every weekend when I have a little downtime. You are welcome for the resources–they are really awesome!

October 10, 2012, 8:45 PM
Tamy Burns

Thanks for sharing these great OCD tips! I will certainly try twit cleaner myself.

October 24, 2012, 6:23 AM

I highly recommend you do, Tamy!

October 28, 2012, 9:28 PM