Interested in finding out how I increased my blog traffic by over 700%? It took hard work and I can show you how too. Very importantly this gain was not due to traffic spikes, but a steady, sustainable rise. There are a number of techniques that you can use to consistently raise the number of unique visitors to your site.
Growth is good
From November 2012 through January 2013 I increased my blog traffic by over 700%.
I even did a press release announcing, “PeterTrapasso.com Announces an Increase of Over 700% in Web Traffic.”
Here are 5 ways that worked for me which you can use too:
1. Regular blog post schedule. As an army of one leverage your time by publishing multiple part series of posts (“Top 5 Instagram Apps” http://petertrapasso.com/top-5-instagram-apps/ for example). Also consider taking on guest bloggers to help you generate more content. Use an editorial calendar to schedule and track all of your blogging efforts too.
2. Promote your content on social media networks. Build up large networks and share your content with them often. Develop followings on all of the majors: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest. This one will take some time and daily effort to build up. Share often from the start and you will get some dedicated followers engaging with you regularly. Some automation and account linking is ok when sharing your new content to maximize your time.
3. Syndicate your blog posts. Make a list and contact all of the websites that syndicate content in your niche. Some sites like Business2Community have an application and approval process. If you get approved, each post still needs to pass an editor review before it get syndicated. Other syndication opportunities will appear as your best content gets noticed. So far the traffic percentage has been great for me.
4. Guest blogging on other blogs in your niche. Guest blogging has been very rewarding for me. I have a gig as a monthly writer at LeadersWest.com plus some one time posts elsewhere. Make a list of the top 10 blogs in your niche and contact each one. Offer to write a guest blogger post just for them and see what happens. Pitching great ideas like this will get you noticed by some of the top bloggers in your space.
5. Use SEO appropriately. I use some free and paid tools to check for high traffic keyword phrases to use in my blog posts. Similar to the way that tags help make your content more easily searchable by people, keyword phrases help the search engines to properly index your pages. After choosing your blog post topic to write about, pick a primary keyword phrase and 3 or 4 related supporting phrases. Carefully choose a primary keyword phrase that your blog post is about for the title and url. Use the primary phrase in your metadata and supporting phrases for your subheadings too.
Bonus: Study your analytics to find out where your traffic is coming from. I look at my Google Analytics data daily for my blogs. Look at Traffic Sources > Sources > All Traffic and show 100 rows or so an choose about a 1 month date range to study. Here you will see many of your traffic sources ranked by visits. When testing new methods of traffic generation the best ones will show up here in rank order. Focus on the top visit generators and do more of that to continue to increase your traffic.
Success begets success
I had a press release created and distributed as this is certainly newsworthy and serves as an inspiration to other bloggers.
So now you have five ways to increase your blog traffic that work great for me. It seems like you need a combination of social media marketing and seo to get your content ranked and read these days. I recommend all of them and will continue to use each myself regularly this year.
What techniques do you use to generate traffic for your blog? Tell us all about it in the comments below.