Infographic: social media use by gender, age and network

Jamie Zawinski [Attribution], via Wikimedia Commons

Pew Internet released a study back in February entitled, “The Demographics of Social Media Users” which keyed into the social media use by gender, age and network (and ethnicity). There really weren’t too many a-ha moments in the study (and Google Plus was conspicuously absent), but it confirmed some key aspects such as:

- Women are present in greater number than men

- Social media usage increases inverse-proportional to age

- No social network approaches the popularity of Facebook

I thought this infographic was an especially simple and straightforward way to present Pew’s data (and it was created with visual.ly, an infographic site I really like). Let me know what you think.

Illustration by Jamie Zawinski [Attribution], via Wikimedia Commons

Jim Dougherty

Jim Dougherty

Writer and chief of miscellany at leaderswest.com
I'm the guy that wrote the article you just read. Sorry for the typos.

Comments

1. says

At this point in time, I’m surprised that only 20% of online adults are using LinkedIn. It’s such a valuable resource for young adults to older adults at any point in their career.

2. jimdougherty says

Great point Michael! I believe that LinkedIn is still used more often by men than women, too. So, maybe their recent changes will make LI more attractive for people going forward.

3. jimdougherty says

It was an oversight from Pew. G+ has been estimated anywhere from 2nd to 5th most popular social network. :)

4. BroVic says

G+ actually a ghost towm and its numbers come from leveraging on other Google services, and therefore in my honest opinion, should not be counted.

5. jimdougherty says

Thanks Vic, that may have been the case a year ago, but there are some reputable numbers that have come out showing that Google Plus has grown quite big. One even suggested that it had surpassed Twitter. You’re absolutely correct about the difficulty of getting accurate numbers for Google Plus because all of their services are tied to the Google domain.

6. says

Jim, it will be interesting to see what happens with facebook and teens. I have two kids in that age range and both claim “it’s done”. And their lack of behavior with it supports that claim. I’m a big fan of LInked In. Very unique space. It will be interesting to see if it can grow past that “i go there when I want to find a new job”.

7. jimdougherty says

Thanks Graham – agree that there is a huge disruption coming. It will be interesting to see how digital natives choose to “socialize.”

8. BroVic says

I think LinkedIn going to be really big in the next couple of years. It’s just a hunch.

9. BroVic says

I tend to agree with you. But there is something odd about G+ – it is yet to click for me. It lacks that sense of community, which is what makes social media ‘social’. I think this is due to the excessive leveraging of the platform on Google plethora of services. All the same, let’s see how it goes…