Infographic: 25% of marketing budgets spent on content marketing

Jim Dougherty

featured contributor

Listen to an audio version of this article

I would be shocked if 25% of marketing budgets are spent on content marketing (or I would at least wonder where all the money was going). True or not, despite the rose-colored prism that this infographic paints – the process to understand customer pain points, address  them and distribute content is some really great insight. To me that’s what makes this special.

I’m curious to know your thoughts. Do you agree with the statistics (90% of companies do inbound marketing?). Do you agree with the process? What tips would you add?

beginners_guide_to_content_marketing3

Illustration By ??? ScanGuy de Rambaud (Gravure ancienne en ma possession) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Jim Dougherty

Jim Dougherty

Writer and chief of miscellany at leaderswest.com
I'm the guy that wrote the article you just read. Sorry for the typos.

Comments

1. says

I agree with the stats regarding consumers perceptions or feelings about content, however I think the term “content” isn’t defined clearly enough for these stats to be used in general terms. I do not believe that firms are investing as much in content marketing as they should be, I think firms are having a hard time understanding what that is in general. However I am sure that with time, we will see these numbers rising and depending on the industry the level of investment into good content will rise. This is a great infographic to spark some questions and maybe reflection for those who are already working in this space.

• jimdougherty says

Thanks Mila! I totally agree with you about the vague definition of content in this piece. I think that the numbers are inflated somewhat and agree that content is an important means to generate attention, awareness and sales. Thanks for your great comment!

2. says

Couldn’t agree more. I recently stumbled upon this really kickass article about Real Estate; topic has been pushed to the ground but the content’s witty and fresh take on the subject really turned things around. I even followed the company’s twitter account because I loved what I’ve read from them.

One shouldn’t underestimate the power of content marketing!

3. says

Thanks for your comments Jim. Actually, we’ve been researching percentage of spend for 4 years now, and it’s never been lower than 25%. I agree that is completely impossible right now to determine where all the money is going – staffing, outsourced content creation, distribution of content, etc.

Keep in mind that when you look at print content programs, these are very expensive…often millions per issue depending on folio and reach. For example, John Deere’s The Furrow magazine, which started in 1895, has 1.5 million circulation in 40 countries…and produces every month. Quite an expense, and asset. And that doesn’t include all the staffing it takes to make that happen.

If you truly look at it holistically, it’s more realistic. Hubspot is another great example. Most of their marketing spend is content oriented.

• jimdougherty says

Thanks Joe – I’m jazzed to see your comment. The source of my insight also serves as a cushion when I sit, so your comments are timely. Great examples, and I appreciate your substantiating those figures. Thank you!

• jimdougherty says

Thanks Dennis, I agree with you that the 90% number was taken out of context – but I’m not sure that diminishes the point of the piece. Appreciate your comment and enjoyed your post.